Thursday, January 22, 2009

Lesson to Learn


Lesson to learn....
During this recession time....

Demoted but not defeated

"I refused to leave when the company began retrenching during the financial crisis," said the 43-year-old, who was working for a cement manufacturing company in Rawang then.

He was given two options: a voluntary separation scheme or a demotion.

"I had a family to feed and I knew if I resigned, there were no jobs outside. Since I needed the money, I accepted a job as a typist. Not only was my pay cut by half, I was also transferred to Chemor, Perak," said Kamalanathan, who was earning RM800 as a clerk.

Kamalanathan left his family for three years. "During that time, I realised the importance of education and saved up money to take up distance learning."

He said three years later, things changed for the better when he hosted a sports event here which caught the eye of his boss.

"My boss saw my performance, especially my communication skills, and offered me the same clerical position I once held."

He said the transfer did not only teach him valuable lessons about community relations and the importance of higher education but also gave him the chance to learn an additional skill.

"If I did not take up that offer, I don't think I would have started blogging or begun communicating online."

Kamalanathan leads Putera MIC and is a public relations manager with Serba Wangi Sdn Bhd.

"If you are demoted, do not let go of the job, especially during a financial crisis. There may be a skill or two that you can learn from it that would help you in the future."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About me

My photo
Between Reality and Fantasy...